Hloov(/hluːv/) is a pioneer in human-centric AI for the built environment that empowers people to minimize waste and achieve goals.
We're looking for an exceptional engineering manager with an entrepreneurial spirit to lead a team of talented, diverse engineers and architects who are versed in delivering outstanding end-user experiences. In this role, you should be comfortable with startup pace and efforts and incrementally marching towards a defined long-term architecture where you will provide strong leadership in building our product's core technology platform from scratch!
The ideal candidate is excited by these challenges, someone motivated and skilled enough to understand how different pieces of software interrelate and with experience guiding a team of engineers as they work together to turn a product vision into reality.
Up For the Challenge?
Imagine working in an environment with people who share your passion and want to make a difference. If you feel up fo rthe challenge, and there is no better time than now to make that dream come true, we are looking for you.
Bring your ideas, passion, and ambition, and be “You” at Hloov. Apply today!
As the Earth continues to face the ruinous challenge of global warming, the Built Environment is responsible for over one-third of global energy consumption and nearly 40% of direct and indirect CO2 emissions. In addition, by 2025, the world population is projected to reach 8 billion and about 10 billion by 2050.To accommodate this growth while minimizing the adverse environmental effects of the built environment, we will need a paradigm shift in how we Design, Build, Operate, and Use the built environment assets like buildings, bridges, and roads, among others. Hloov intends to lead this paradigm shift by reimagining the built environment with data science.
Hloov is a pioneer in human-centric AI for the built environment that empowers people to minimize waste and achieve People, Planet, and Prosperity goals.
Driven by our mission to empower others to create a better future for all, our team is passionate, purpose-driven individuals committed to making a difference. We come from diverse backgrounds and experiences, and our shared values unite us: Innovation, Inclusion, Integrity, and Impact.
In a world where ‘change is the only constant, our name “Hloov” originates from the Asian language Hmong, which translates to “Change,” and we are all about evolution through revolution and empowering people. We are looking for creative, strategic, and forward-thinking individuals passionate about solving real-world problems that matter most.
You will find yourself collaborating with other like-minded team members on a journey to solve complex design challenges that arise within our industry’s ever-changing landscape.
Learn more: www.hloov.com/about
Role & Responsibilities
As a Software Engineering Manager at Hloov, you build and lead a team that is working on our human-centric AI-led living digital twins’ platform, that empowers the Built Environment people with decision intelligence to confidently make complex and critical decisions.
- Lead a team a highly energetic cross-functional team in a fast-paced development environment of a growing pioneer startup.
- Mentor, and motivate your team to solve complex problems, and share timely feedback with them.
- Hire, train and assess the performance of direct reports according to corporate policies and procedures.
- Put on a product manager hat and collaborate with stakeholders to gather requirements and translate them into a practical engineering roadmap.
- Manage end-to-end platform development and the timely execution of multiple technical projects in parallel.
- You own the technical architecture and lead the engineering decisions for the platform.
- Collaborate with designers, developers, growth managers, and product managers to estimate and plan projects in an Agile environment.
- Assist in the growth of employees through coaching, training, and career development activities.
- Drive thought leadership and innovation to accelerate high-quality software development.
- In this role, you will be responsible for driving some of our most strategic technical projects, delivering large-scale systems.
- Lead Design, Code reviews, sprint planning, estimations, and backlog grooming.
- Deliver high-quality cloud-based solutions in an agile methodology
- Ensuring that all features embody engineering best practices, efficient, scalable architecture, elegant design, and high-quality implementation
- Work with the DevOps team on deployment architecture, security, and CI/CD.
- Keep Jira and Confluence updated as per established practices.
Qualifications, & Experience & Skills
- Must have a Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or related fields
- Minimum five (5) years of as a software engineer with a proven track record of having shipped commercially successful software products & services.
- 1+ years of experience in building and managing teams, with Ability to nurture and grow talent.
- Experience with distributed systems design and implementation, especially microservices architecture and REST APIs.
- Must have firsthand experience with popular databases like PostgreSQL, MongoDB, or similar, with solid analytic skills working with unstructured datasets.
- Experience designing, developing, delivering, and scaling modern large-scale cloud services and web applications.
- Experience providing technical expertise throughout the product life cycle, including designing, implementing, and delivering scalable build/test/release infrastructure.
- You have strong problem-solving, coding, and excellent debugging skills.
- Must good understanding of data structures & algorithms and their space & time complexities.
- Experience with software development tools such as source control systems (GIT), automated build systems, compilers, software validation systems, project tracking, and lifecycle management systems
- Work independently, drive and manage technical and architectural dependencies.
- DevOps mindset and strong ownership of over-owned code (test, monitor, deploy, maintain)
- Have experience with one or more Cloud Infrastructure services such as Azure or equivalent AWS services with experience in Microservices architecture.
- Experience with DevOps, CICD, expert branching, and merging complex applications.
What Makes Your Profile Shine — Bonus Points
- Have high technical competence, strong technical background with a track record of individual technical accomplishments – Ability to play the role of the architect for the team
- Platform development. Proven track of designing, coding, and delivering large-scale PaaS or IaaS systems, especially on public cloud substrates (Azure, AWS/GCP)
- You are familiar with core concepts of Computer Vision, Deep Learning, ML, and Statistical Inference.
- Experience with database/compiler internals and containerization technologies (e.g., B+ trees, query optimization, SQL query compiler, Kubernetes, Docker)
- You have hands-on experience in Graph Database platforms like Neo4J, SnowFlake, and TigerGraph.
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Kafka, Azure Event Hub, Spark-Streaming, and API Security/authentication knowledge (OAuth2).
- Expertise and experience in developing web services, including REST, GraphQL, Async, event-driven, GraphQL APIs
- Experience working with Big Data technologies like Hadoop, Spark, and Cosmos is preferred.
- Experience with Computer graphics and 3D CAD tools and applications such as WebGL, Unity, Unreal, and Autodesk Forge.
What You Must Have - Qualities We Look For
- Mission — You are motivated and inspired by our mission to reimagine the built environment and empower others to achieve People, Planet, and Prosperity goals.
- Grit — You bring determination and a strong will to the challenges and opportunities that come with being at a startup.
- Passionate — You are highly accountable and have a powerful sense of purpose and empathy for your work.
- Entrepreneur — You have the entrepreneurial spirit, an agile work style, and a growth mindset to succeed in this role. You inspire others with your vision and work ethic.
- Team Player — You are a collaborator who knows how to collaborate and brainstorm with people of different skills and backgrounds to drive the required outcomes.
- Self-Starter — You are ambitious, take the initiative, and thrive in environments with minimal supervision.
- Problem Solving — You can identify the nature of a problem, deconstruct it, and develop a compelling set of actions to address its challenges.
- Communication — You can communicate ideas effectively with excellent presentation and writing skills.
- Speak Up! — You speak up when you have ideas or opinions that will help the team succeed.
What We Offer - Benefits And Perks
- Unique opportunity to pursue your passion and make a difference.
- Industry-standard Compensation & Perks
- Flexible Work Location and Timings (In-office, Remote, Hybrid). Go to the gym or pick up your kids from school during business hours.
- A diverse and inclusive environment, with over 50% of the workforce made up of women.
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Commitment to your professional development
- Educational Resources & Opportunities
- Maternity and paternity leave
An Equal Opportunity Employer
We recognize the power of diversity and inclusion in creating an environment where everyone brings their best selves to work and contributes meaningfully. Diversity and inclusion are at the nucleus of our values. Hloov is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive culture where people can learn, grow, and reach their potential.
Hloov is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, race or color, ethnicity or national origin, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or other applicable characteristics protected by law.